Monday, October 17, 2011

2010

This year I really made a lot of progress.  I learned a lot from places like John Leeke's Historic Homeworks and decided that to get the longest lasting paint job it was better to just remove the siding, fix with epoxy, soak with penetol/turpentine and prime both sides with a heavy penetrating primer.  I tried all the methods, silent paint remover (took forever).  I broke the bank and got the paint shaver pro, but that just threw chips all over the place, even with a shop vac attached.  (still an awesome tool in a shop environment)  The other benefit to removing the siding is that I can inspect the sheathing and replace all the nails with stainless.









Every spring I like to do a quick project to get some satisfaction on this long slog.  The city had just put in some new sidewalks, so I thought it would be a good idea to give the neighbors some eye candy and increase the curb appeal.  I put on my mason hat and installed some Belgian block.


Storm Windows - Had a lot of leftover mahogany from the deck which I put to good use making storm windows.   Glazed with Allback organic linseed putty so I was able to paint immediately with their linseed paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment